The basis of the supplementary questions
- What happened after the testator's death? [Jurisdiction; hierarchy of jurisdiction; probate procedure, including associated documents; intestate procedure by comparison];
- Was there any specific legislation affecting this class of document?
- What is the significance of the passage in the red box [preamble]?
[The fine points of 'confessional categorisation' (Litzenberger)]
- Was there any specific piece of legislation?
- Describe probate procedure.
- Why were they produced? [Specific canons]
- Why might they be a cause of contention?
- What problems lay behind their production from the late sixteenth century?
- How were copyholders protected in this environment?